How to prepare for Camino de Santiago: How to train your mind!
Not everyone knows, but walking long distances is not only a physical issue, it is also mental. If you want to experience the beauty of Camino de Santiago, how can you prepare for it at best?
Here you are some tips that can be useful when approaching this type of travel!
- Plan well the route you want to walk and be honest about what you can and cannot do. Be self-aware of your abilities and preparation level. ?
- Choose a pilgrimage route that suits you. Each camino has specific features. ?
- When you go the first time, use your mind. Let go and follow the flow! ?♂
- You will go through intense fatigue and if your physical conditions affect this, slow down and make shorter distances. It is not compulsory to reach the final destination and if you don’t reach Santiago de Compostela on your first pilgrimage, you can always come back another time. ?
- Have a clear idea of why you want to walk to Santiago de Compostela. Your choices may vary during your hike, but it is important that you keep your goal in mind. ?? ?
- Mentally prepare for the effort that a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela requires. It is not a beach holiday. For example, if you only really want to focus on your goal and walking, you can choose to have everything arranged for you. Comfortable accommodation, transporting your backpack, etc … ??❤
Walking the Camino de Santiago is a once in lifetime experience. Beside training your body to walk for several days, weeks or even months, also your mind needs attention. A lot of pilgrims focus only on the physical part to prepare for the Camino de Santiago. They start to train, alone or together with friends. Surely, this is fundamental but don’t forget your mental preparation, this is a pilgrimage and also a deep inner discovery.