Which are Camino de Santiago costs? Of course, it depends on many factors, WAW Travel will show you what to consider before leaving!
Which are the elements to count among the Camino de Santiago costs? For example, how long you will stay on the road, if you will sleep in an albergue or hotel, but also which route you will walk or bike. Even during your Camino de Santiago, the more tourist there are, the more expensive it becomes. also, bigger the city, the more you will have to pay to stay there.
A short list of Camino de Santiago costs
It is difficult to say what the total cost of your pilgrimage will be. Much depends on where you spend the night, whether or not you prepare your own food, whether you visit a museum and how you travel back from Santiago, for example. I walked the Camino Frances in 2018 and based on this experience, these are the most important Camino de Santiago costs:
- Eat & Drink;
- Transport back home.
Camino de Santiago costs for preparation: think of the equipment that you need to purchase before you leave to the Camino, such as a backpack, hiking boots, hiking socks or bike clothing. You may already have all of this available, so that makes a great difference! A good backpack during your Camino is very important. Do not hesitate to invest in it, it is well worth it. Choosing the right backpack for yourself is, after purchasing the right shoes, just about the most important decision you will make. It protects all your belongings and you will carry it on your back for a long time. It must fit well, have all the functionality you need for your stuff. A good backpack costs between 150 and 200 euros. The Camino de Santiago costs for your walking shoes vary. For example, do you choose low or high walking shoes? It is also very important for your walking shoes that they fit perfect, keep in mind that you will wear them for a lot of kilometres. An average pair of walking shoes costs between 150 and 250 euros.
Where you will sleep every night strongly affects your Camino de Santiago costs. These costs are daily, you can’t avoid them. You can choose between:
1. Spending the night on a campsite. This costs an average of 9 euros.
2. Spending the night in a hostel or hotel costs between 35 and 50 euros per room, usually excluding breakfast. If you share the room with another pilgrim, count on 25 euros. You will then have your own toilet and shower.
3. In an albergue you pay between 8 and 12 euros for an overnight stay in a bunk bed without breakfast. You will sleep in a dormitory with several pilgrims (earplugs are recommended!). You also share the facilities with other guests.
Eat & Drink
During a pilgrimage, it is extremely important to eat and drink well. After all, you consume a lot of energy every day. The Camino de Santiago costs for food and drinks are:
- For breakfast, you pay between 6 and 12 euros. For 6 euros you have a coffee and a sandwich with some jam. The Spanish don’t pay much attention to breakfast. Would you like a nice fresh orange juice or a croissant? Then of course you pay a little more.
- Lunch is the most important meal of the day for the Spaniards. But most pilgrims choose for a ‘boccata’ or a sandwich. For a café con leche you pay just a little more than 1 euro. Together with a sandwich, you are ready for 3-5 euros. If you want to have an more luxury lunch in a brasserie in the big cities, for example along the Camino del Norte, you pay at least 20 euros.
- In most restaurants along the Camino de Santiago, you will find the pilgrim menu. You can choose from 2 starters, 2 main courses and 2 desserts. The wine is included. For this, you pay between 10 and 15 euros. Of course, you can choose to prepare an evening meal together with other pilgrims. This is cheaper.
Souvenirs and extras
For a pilgrim is better to travel light, for this reason you can’t put too many souvenirs in your backpack. If you want to give yourself a reward when you arrive in Santiago de Compostela, this also going to affetct the Camino de Santiago costs. You can choose a small souvenir, go out for dinner or choose for one or more nights in the Parador of Santiago or continue your camino and walk the Camino to Finisterre.
Transport back home
Once you will arrive in Santiago de Compostela, then it is time to go back home. The Camino de Santiago costs of your ticket varies greatly per airline. An average Ryanair trip costs about 100 euros. From Santiago de Compostela and A Coruña, direct and cheap flights are available twice a week via Vueling to Amsterdam / Schiphol. Iberia also flies back to all Europe.
Have you always dreamed of it and now is it time to walk or bike to Santiago de Compostela? Would you like to go to the Camino de Santiago? We are happy to help you.We can offer different travel solutions and design them just for you to go walking in Spain and guide you in considering all Camino de Santiago costs!
Don’t hesitate to contact us for any curiosity, we will be happy to help you join this amazing adventure! Write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us on our social profiles for constant news and updates: Instagram – Facebook.