The top 10 FAQs about the Cami de Cavalls in Menorca!
The cami de Cavalls is still a relatively unknown Camino. We imagine that you have all kinds of questions, so we decided to list the 10 most frequently asked questions for you.
- How many kilometers is the Cami de Cavalls? The Cami de Cavalls is an old path of 185 km that runs along the entire coast of the island of Menorca. It was in the past used by soldiers on horseback to guard the safety of the island.
- How many kilometers do I have to walk per day? If you want to walk all the way around the island, you need to take in count about 20 stages of approximately 15 – 25 kilometers per day. In these 20 stages you see an island with different faces. From the white beaches with clear blue water in the south, to the deserted areas in the North.
- Where do I start? The Camí de Cavalls is signposted starting at the port of Mahón, the capital of the island, and goes around a coastal path in the North West South direction through Ciutadella, the most populous city in Menorca. WAW travel is offering the North and South route.
- Can I also cycle this camino? Yes, that is possible. However, you must be a experienced mountain biker. Ask us about the possibilities.
- When is the best time and weather to go? We recommend walking the Cami de Cavalls somewhere between April and October. Try to avoid the months of July and August. Then it can be very hot and in this period there are also many tourists on the island. In METOFFICE you can take a look at the weather forecasts of Menorca throughout the year.
- What kind of accommodation do I sleep in? We select our accommodations very carefully. You usually sleep in hotels. On some parts of the Cami de Cavalls, however, not many accommodations can be found. Then it can happen that you sleep in an apartment or that we take you to a casa rural by taxi. Of course we will take you back to the same place the next morning.
- What happens to my luggage? Your luggage is brought from accommodation to accommodation every day. So you don’t have to worry about that. You walk with a smaller daypack yourself, carrying the things you need during your walk. Like water and something to eat, sunscreen, sunglasses, a towel for the beach and a warm sweater.
- Which signs should I follow? You don’t have to be afraid of getting lost. The entire camino is well signed. It is a GR route. And so you will find a wooden sign with a red and white indication every few meters. So as long as you follow that, you know you’re on the right path. Often are also indicated the kilometers to the end point!
- Can I split stages? You can walk whenever you like, the complete Cami de Cavalls of Menorca or by areas. You can also join 2 stages in the same day and you can also stay somewhere for several days or spend a few additional days on the beach after your walk. Let us know and we will inform you about the options.
- What is the difficulty level of this camino? That differs. There are easy and flat stages, but also longer and heavy parts, due to the fact that you follow the coast, so you hardly walk flat. It goes up and down a bit, but don’t worry, there are no steep mountains to climb!